Men's Basketball Today is April 29th, 2017|Hudson Valley Press - More Than News |Bookmark HVPress!

February 19th, 2014

Marist Men Score Double Overtime Victory

Junior swingman Chavaughn Lewis had a season-high 28 points in addition to eight rebounds, five assists and two steals.

WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. - The Marist men’s basketball team had three players score over 20 points in a 96-92 double overtime victory at Monmouth on Sunday afternoon.

Junior swingman Chavaughn Lewis had a season-high 28 points in addition to eight rebounds, five assists and two steals. Red-shirt freshman guard Khallid Hart had a career-high 26 points plus six assists, five rebounds and three steals. Senior forward Jay Bowie had 24 points and 10 rebounds, and drained a career-high six three-pointers. Junior forward Manny Thomas had 10 points, with eight coming in the two overtime periods.

The game included 14 ties and 13 lead changes. Marist rallied from an 11-point deficit in the second half to win.

Deon Jones led Monmouth with 27 points, and tied for the team lead with seven rebounds. The Hawks shot .507 (35-for-69) from the field.

The game started with a frenetic pace, and four different Red Foxes hit three-pointers in the first six minutes. A trey by Hart gave the Red Foxes a 23-20 lead. However Monmouth quickly jumped out to an eight-point lead. The Red Foxes fought back as Bowie fourth three-pointers of the half tied the game at 33, but a bucket by Monmouth’s Andrew Nicholas gave him team a 35-33 lead going into the locker room.

Monmouth’s Tyrone O’Garro converted a layup to give the Hawks a 49-38 lead. Marist answered with an 8-0 run, and re-claimed the lead on a basket by Hart.

Monmouth’s Josh James tied the score at 61 all with a jumper. After a missed jumper by Thomas on Marist’s next possession, Lewis ended Monmouth’s ensuing possession with a steal and breakaway dunk to put the Red Foxes up 63-61. This basket started Marist on a 10-0 run, which gave the Red Foxes a 71-61 lead.

The Red Foxes did not score the rest of regulation. A layup by Nicholas tied the score at 71 with 44 seconds to play, and neither team scored on its ensuing possession, which forced overtime.

Largely due to a pair of three-pointers by Thomas, Marist jumped out to a six-point lead in the first overtime session. But a long three-pointer by Nicholas tied the game with nine seconds left in the period. Marist was unable to score on its next possession, which resulted in overtime number two.

After the teams traded the lead in the second overtime, a three-pointer by Hart gave Marist the lead for good. The Red Foxes sealed the game by going 6-for-8 from the free-throw line in the final 20 seconds.

Copyright 2006-2016 The Hudson Valley Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

              Let Your Voice Be Heard ... Fill Out the Reader Response Form Below
Your name:
Your email:
Article Title:
Comment Text:

*Posts do not appear immediately


Are you planning a summer vacation this year?
Not sure



HEADLINES | Copyright © 2006-2016 Hudson Valley Press. All rights reserved. | Use of this site indicates your agreement to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy for our Site. |