WEST POINT – The Army women’s tennis team recorded a 5-2 Patriot League win over Bucknell on Saturday morning before moving on to down Albany by the same score later in the afternoon. The Black Knights improve to 22-7 on the season and remain a perfect 4-0 within the conference.
Army’s 5-2 win over Bucknell marked the program’s 28th straight regular season Patriot League win and also was a chance for the Black Knights to celebrate Senior Day, bidding an early fairwell to co-captains Diana Alquero and Christine Limsiaco. Both seniors rang in the festivities with wins, as Limsiaco teamed with junior Bridie Burke for an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles and Alquero topped Bucknell’s Lauren Rottkamp, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3, in the sixth singles slot.
The Black Knights won the doubles point, as an 8-5 win for freshman Anne Houghton and junior Niki Flach at No.1 clinched the majority of doubles matches in favor of Army. The pair is now 6-2 this season and has secured their position as Army’s top doubles team.
In singles action, the bottom of the Black Knights’ lineup came up huge during the match. After Houghton recorded a 6-4, 6-1 victory in the top flight, Army went on to claim wins at Nos. 4, 5, and 6 to come away with the dual match win. Sophomore Kristin Beehler improved her spring record to 12-9 with a fairly easy 6-1, 6-1 win over Bucknell’s Carlin Calcaterra at No. 4.
In addition to Alquero’s win at No. 6, freshman Caitlin Finnegan posted a 6-4, 7-5 win over Dara Dwjowski of Bucknell to win her 21st singles match of the season.
The Black Knights took a bit of a rest as the Army men’s team took the court in the afternoon. Army then took on Albany at Malek Courts, marking the first match all season that the Black Knights have been able to play outdoors. The result was a second 5-2 victory, including a doubles sweep and singles wins in each of the top three flights.
Army went with its top doubles lineups for the second straight match, as Houghton and Flach, along with Beehler and Giles-Madden, recorded back-to-back wins at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively. Freshmen Robie Verano and Jurelle Mendoza teamed-up in the third slot and produced an 8-6 win, marking their eighth straight doubles victory on the season.
The Black Knights’ momentum carried over into singles play, beginning with junior Jessica Shurtz’s 6-2, 6-2 win over Aimee Kern in the top spot. Freshmen Jessica Ahn and Michael Tollerton followed in equal fashion, recording wins at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively. Tollerton’s win was her 10th straight and kept her undefeated this spring.
Albany picked up its two points by winning in the fourth and fifth flights, while Mendoza rounded out the Black Knights’ scoring with a convincing 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 – her seventh win in a row.
Army will have little time to recover from Saturday’s doubleheader, as the team splits between home and away for a Sunday twin billss. The Black Knights are scheduled to close out the regular-season portion of their Patriot League schedule with a match at Colgate at noon. Meanwhile, Army will also host Fordham at 4 p.m. at West Point, N.Y.
1. Anne Houghton/Niki Flach (A) def. Tania Varela/Lauren Lucido (B), 8-5
2. Carlin Calcaterra/Paulina Gamboa (B) def. Kristin Beehler/Sarah Giles-Madden (A), 8-6
3. Bridie Burke/Christine Limsiaco (A) def. Caitlin Baffa/Dara Dwojewski (B), 8-3
1. Anne Houghton (A) def. Tania Varela (B), 6-4, 6-1
2. Paulina Gamboa (B) def. Niki Flach (A), 6-2, 6-7 (8-6), 6-3
3. Lauren Lucido (B) def. Sarah Giles-Madden (B), 7-6 (10-8), 6-3
4. Kristin Beehler (A) def. Carlin Calcaterra (B), 6-1, 6-1
5. Caitlin Finnegan (A) def. Dara Dwjowski (B), 6-4, 7-5
6. Diana Alquero (A) def. Lauren Rottkamp (B), 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
1. Anne Houghton/Niki Flach (Ar) def. Aimee Kern/ Susan Ma (UA), 8-4
2. Kristin Beehler/Sarah Giles-Madden (Ar) def. Amanda Hall/Laine Mackey, 8-1
3. Jurelle Mendoza/Robie Verano (Ar) def. Kim Weltman/Charlotte Tatler, 8-6
1. Jessica Shurtz (Ar) def. Aimee Kern (UA), 6-2, 6-2
2. Jessica Ahn (Ar) def. Susan Ma (UA), 7-6 (9-7), 6-3
3. Michael Tollerton (Ar) def. Kim Weltman (UA), 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
4. Charlotte Tatler (UA) def. Paige Ford (Ar), 7-6 (11-9), 6-0
5. Laine Mackey (UA) def. Patty Vollmer (Ar), 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Jurelle Mendoza (Ar) def. Amanda Hall (UA), 6-1, 6-1