By Brian Savard
NEW PALTZ - The State University of New York at New Paltz women’s tennis team claimed the top three singles flights in a 6-3 non-conference loss to Skidmore College on Saturday afternoon at the North Tennis Courts. It marked the Hawks’ final match before vying for the conference title at the 2013 State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tennis Championship Tournament.
The match’s most significant feature was the grueling battle in doubles action, as it took more than two hours for doubles play to end. Skidmore constructed the lead and the momentum it needed from those close matches, though, cruising to the road win.
New Paltz slides to 6-3 overall and next travels to the SUNYAC Tournament, which is held at the Binghamton Tennis Center from Friday, Oct. 11, through Sunday, Oct. 13. The Hawks, who hold the East Division’s top seed, face the West Division’s No. 4 seed, SUNY Oswego, on Friday at 4:30 p.m.
Freshman Olivia Ammirati, senior Paige Munroe and freshman Veronika Paikin each topped their Skidmore counterpart in singles play. Ammirati beat Madeline Benn, 6-2, 6-4, at flight one, Munroe bested Robyn Baird, 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-7), at flight two and Paikin upended Caroline Hobbs, 6-2, 7-5, at flight three. New Paltz nearly won flight one doubles, with the tandem of junior Jessica Schmidt and Paikin falling, 9-8 (7-5).
1. Olivia Ammirati (NP) def. Madeline Benn (SKIDMORE) 6-2, 6-4
2. Paige Munroe (NP) def. Robyn Baird (SKIDMORE) 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Veronika Paikin (NP) def. Caroline Hobbs (SKIDMORE) 6-2, 7-5
4. Zoe Valella (SKIDMORE) def. Jessica Schmidt (NP) 6-3, 6-0
5. Rachel Plevinsky (SKIDMORE) def. Allie Starke (NP) 6-2, 6-2
1. Zoe Valella/Robyn Baird (SK) def. Jessica Schmidt/Veronika Paikin (NP) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Madeline Benn/Yumi Karlshoej (SKIDMORE) def. Paige Munroe/Elizabeth Palmer (NP) 8-5
3. Caroline Hobbs/Rachel Plevinsky (SKIDMORE) def. Allie Starke/Olivia Ammirati (NP) 8-2