Soccer Today is April 25th, 2017|Hudson Valley Press - More Than News |Bookmark HVPress!

September 28th, 2011

Marist women’s soccer loses close one to Army

Kim An recorded her sixth goal of the season and career 15th.

West Point - The Marist women’s soccer team was defeated by rival Army 1-0 in the team’s final non-conference game of the regular season. In an evenly matched game, an early goal by Army (7-2-2) in the 22nd minute proved to be all that the Black Knights would need in defeating Marist (5-4-0). Sophomore Rycke Guiney was the team’s top offensive threat as she took eight shots, including two on goal.

The game began with an Army feel as the Black Knights started off with multiple strong possessions deep in Marist’s defensive zone. Their best opportunity came off of an Errin Helbling cross, that Marist’s junior goalkeeper Caitlin Landsman cut off in mid-air.

After ten minutes of action where Army held possession for the majority of the time, Marist’s offense started taking shape. Quick one-touch passing between Kathryn Hannis, Amanda Epstein and Jackie Frey began to pressure the Black Knights. In a matter of two minutes, Guiney and Epstein registered shots.

In the 22nd minute, Army’s Kim An put away a shot from inside the six-yard box into the back of the net off of a bounding free kick, that was deflected multiple times.

Faced with a 1-0 deficit, Marist was determined to find an equalizer. In the 26th minute, junior Chelsea Botta took down a long free kick from Guiney and was able to get a shot off from the left wing that unfortunately was blocked by an Army defender. 14 minutes later following a steal by sophomore Samantha Panzner (Livingston, N.J.) the Red Fox offense played the ball around before finding a hard-charging Melanie Rigo, who rocketed a shot that missed high towards the goal.

Coming out of half down 1-0, Marist kept up the pressure. 17 seconds into play, Guiney got off a hard shot that Army’s keeper Monica Lee snagged. Following two Helbling shots that flew high, the Red Foxes were back on offense. The quick passing of Epstein and Frey helped manufacture offense as they setup up junior Nicole Kuhar’s shot on goal in the 56th minute.

The Red Foxes continued battling back and forth with the Black Knights throughout the rest of the half. Strong goalkeeping by junior Courey Schaetzle helped keep Marist’s deficit at just 1-0. In the 82nd minute she came up with two huge saves, the first being on a one-on-one breakaway to net by An. The win was Army’s eighth shutout in 11 games.

For the game, Marist outshot Army 16-14, though the Black Knights held a 7-4 advantage in shots on goal.

The Red Foxes’ next game will be on Friday, September 30th as they travel to New Rochelle to take on Iona in their MAAC league opener. Kickoff is slated for 3 p.m.

5 / 5 (1 Votes)

Copyright 2006-2016 The Hudson Valley Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

              Let Your Voice Be Heard ... Fill Out the Reader Response Form Below
Your name:
Your email:
Article Title:
Comment Text:

*Posts do not appear immediately


Are you planning a summer vacation this year?
Not sure



HEADLINES | Copyright © 2006-2016 Hudson Valley Press. All rights reserved. | Use of this site indicates your agreement to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy for our Site. |