Local Today is April 25th, 2017|Hudson Valley Press - More Than News |Bookmark HVPress!
|Hudson Valley Press|
March 14th, 2017
Central Hudson Responding to Winter Storm
POUGHKEEPSIE - Field
crews of Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corporation are responding
to small, scattered
outages throughout their eight-county service territory as a result of
the winter storm bearing down on the Hudson River Valley. Fewer than
10,000 customers were without service about 12 hours after the snow
began to fall, and virtually all of the largest
outages are clustered in Ulster County.
“We are facing several large repairs due to the increased wind speeds
and continued snowfall.
But generally, as a result of continued investment and maintenance, our
electric system is holding up well to the dramatic conditions that
we’ve experienced so far in this storm,” said Senior Vice President of
Customer Services and Transmission and Distribution
Charles A. Freni. “We have a field force of more than 300 professionals
responding to various outages, and we certainly recognize how critical
it is that we restore service to everyone as quickly as possible due to
the cold temperatures.”
Freni applauded the public work crews that are clearing roadways in
order to allow utility equipment
to reach hard-hit locations. He also encouraged customers not to drive.
“We’ve experienced several service interruptions as a result of motor
vehicle accidents. Please heed the emergency warnings, and stay off the
He reiterated the following advice:
- Stay at least 30 feet away from downed power lines,
and remember that lines may be entangled and hidden in fallen trees. Assume all downed lines are live.
- Beware of fallen trees and limbs, and use caution or traveling.
- Avoid the use of candles for illumination due to fire hazards.
- Follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions on the use of emergency generators, and be sure to shut off the main
breaker when in use and operate the units outdoors.
- Never use outdoor gas or charcoal grills indoors, as they pose a fire hazard and over time can give off deadly carbon
- Operate cars and motor vehicles outdoors only, and never inside the garage.
Copyright 2006-2014 The Hudson Valley Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Let Your Voice Be Heard ... Fill Out the Reader Response Form Below
*Posts do not appear immediately