NEWBURGH – Several hours after the latest gunfire rang out in Newburgh, city, county and state officials announced Monday the city would conduct a gun buyback program on Saturday, June 14.
Councilwoman Cindy Holmes, who spearheaded this latest effort, announced it will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday at the Cathedral at the House of Refuge, 131 Broadway and thereafter at the front desk of the Newburgh police headquarters at 55 Broadway, 24 hours a day.
"It’s raining guns out there," Police Chief Michael Ferrara said Monday, noting there were 443 gun calls last year with 51 calls of shots fired. So far this year, there have been 25 gun calls.
"If we get one gun off the street that would have killed one person, then the whole thing is worth it," said Mayor Judy Kennedy.
"We are going to turn this tide of crime around here," said Orange County Executive Steven Neuhaus at an announcement event on Monday.
District Attorney David Hoovler said the buyback program is "one more tool to make the community safe."
In return for turning in guns with no questions asked, individuals are given ShopRite gift cards.
OC District Attorney David Hoovler, Assemblyman Frank Skartados, the Greater Newburgh Partnership, ShopRite, and the City of Newburgh Police Department are major sponsors of the event.