NEWBURGH - The Newburgh Armory Unity Center is planning to add eight new free enrichment program classes to its already busy Saturday morning schedule. The Armory has a Saturday morning reading enrichment program that is led by Mount Saint Mary College Education Department professors and graduate and undergraduate students for 10 weeks in the fall and 10 weeks in the spring.
The new Saturday Enrichment Programs, offered from May 3 through June 28, provide students in kindergarten through the 6th grade the opportunity to engage in enriching educational experiences that are not limited to reading instruction, including art, math, science, music, engineering, gardening and the performing arts. A separate reading readiness program for children aged 3 to 5 is also being offered in the new program series
Each specific class program will have two sessions; one beginning at 9 a.m. and the second session at 10 a.m. The See How My Garden Grows classes for children and any interested family members will have only one session from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., and is available for ages 6 and up. Classes being offered this session are:
● Kids’ Got Talent will teach students to write scripts and perform skits in front of an audience.
● Guitar Stars will provide guitar lessons for beginners.
● The Game of Kings offers instructional clinics focused on mastering the game of Chess.
● Crazy About Constructing helps student develop math, science and problem-solving skills through working on various hands-on projects, including activities using the popular K’Nex building system, and also constructing bird houses and designing kites.
● Art Smart will expand student’s knowledge of art through learning a variety of mediums and introduction to works of artist in the local Newburgh area.
● See How My Garden Grows allows both parents and children to learn about gardening and farming. New skills will be implemented by planting seeds in the Armory’s raised-bed gardens.
● Math Magic focuses on showing the role of math in everyday life through a variety of activities, including playing board games and studying sports statistics.
● Get Ready to Read is a special program for toddlers, age 3 to 5 and their parents to listen to stories and create craft projects linked to literacy development.
● Building Reading Skills: If there is sufficient enrollment, small-group instruction for children in Grade 1 – 6, who are struggling in mastering basic reading skills, will be offered.
There is no cost to enroll in the Saturday Enrichment Program classes.
Applications can be found online at www.newburgharmory.org/Registration. Applications may also be completed at the Armory or mailed to the Newburgh Armory Unity Center, located at 321 South William Street, Newburgh, NY 12550.
There are expected to be limited space in each of the classes, which will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. For application information, contact Kara Smith at 845-245-4035 ext. 11. For information about the program courses, contact Jim DelViscio at 845-245-4035 ext. 10.